appetizers, chicken recipes, meat recipes, seafood recipes, desserts

Get this tabber widget

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Shrimp and bacon mac n cheese (bites) oh so yummmmm

Shrimp and bacon mac and cheese (bites)




Shrimp and bacon mac and cheese (bites)
With the upcoming Holidays approaching I decided I would try some new appetizers…We have our family favorites, but I wanted to try a few new things. My boys love mac and cheese … (who doesn’t?) they are young foodies and really expect more than the blue box -- as delish as it is on occasion.  So I stepped it up.  Everything, and I hope you agree, is better with bacon. We are lucky to live where we can inexpensively get good shrimp so hmmm…. How can I make these into a bite size appetizer?  It is phenomenal on its own but not really party friendly.  These tiny bite sized balls are just the tasty fit for a party. Hope you like them as much as we did. Please comment and let me know what you think. Thanks so much, Monica


I have to get better at measuring, and writing it down…I do apologize and will do a much better job from now on.  When I make them again, and I will, I promise to update with measurements but it’s a pinch of this and that and a lot of tasting.

Ingredients
½ lb pepper bacon cut in lardons
Large shallot diced
Clove garlic minced
Splash of dry sherry
Flour
Salt pepper
Milk
½ and ½
Bay leaf
Dried ground mustard
Paprika
Chipotile powder
Shrimp
Montreal steak seasoning
Olive oil
Unsalted butter
Nutmeg
Bread crumbs
Flour
Corn meal
Fontina cheese
Cheddar cheese
Parmesan cheese
A small pasta… whatever you like that is small… I used canneroni –(cooked)
Salt and pepper to taste
parsley


I begin the recipe by browning the bacon lardons in a large sauce pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a papertowel. Add the shallots and cook until just softened, add some butter and flour and cook until lightly brown, you are making a simple béchamel sauce.   Add the milk and ½ and ½, stir until the mixture begins to bubble slightly and thicken, reduce heat and continue to cook add a few pinches of ground mustard, a dash of paprika, toss in a bay leaf or two and a bit of chipotle powder, salt and pepper and taste. Add a dash or pinch more until you say YUMMO….but wait we still have to add the cheese and then a touch of nutmeg. Taste adjust seasoning. Toss in the chopped parsley (optional) 

Now for the Shrimp
I season with montreal seasoning, and olive oil and saute or grill until just pink.  Cool and chop

Pour the béchamel sauce over the cooked pasta add the shrimp and the bacon.

Let cool and form into balls.

Set up a breading station.  Flour one bowl, I mix the egg in one bowl and then mix the breadcrumbs and the corn meal in another.

In a deep fryer or in a deep saute pan add the canola oil and heat. You will know it ready when you toss in a bit of bread crumbs and they don’t sink.

Put the pasta balls in flour, then egg then bread crumb mixture and place carefully in the hot oil, cook until golden brown. Be very gentle removing them they fall apart easily when they are piping hot.   They really are little nuggets of yumminess! Perfect with or without a dipping sauce. I reserved some of the béchamel but it really didn’t need it.   Hope you love them…



No comments: