appetizers, chicken recipes, meat recipes, seafood recipes, desserts

Get this tabber widget

Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Boiled Corned Beef Dinner

The Irish music is playing and the house is smelling as it should on St. Patrick's Day.






Rinse the corned beef and add it to a large pot and cover it with water. Add the spice packet that came with the beef and cook together for an hour. Do not let it boil. After an hour remove the beef and replace with fresh hot water and put it back on the stove and cook for another hour, again do not let it boil. I add 2 peeled onions, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks to the water at this point. 









 The Keleher Leprechauns


                                      

The elderly 2 brothers and one sister, Chester, John, and Mae Kavanaugh, who use to live in my house (I bought the house next door to my parents) Anyway, Chester use to make Irish Soda Bread for me every year for my school's Heritage day! I never liked it but I really enjoy it now!  They were very nice people. I use to visit them a lot growing up. Mae use to have lilly of the valley in her garden and would let me pick them very spring. Now I have them.....
sporting my Claddagh ring! Not my original. My Aunt Gladys and Uncle Joe (my dad's brother and sister in law)  bought me my first one when I was in grammar school. It was silver, then she bought me a  gold one for my graduation!.  It is in this house somewhere with a few other pieces but I can't find them! So upsetting. Hopefully they will turn up someday.

                                      

I put the veggies in in stages. carrots and turnips first for about 1/2 hour...then the potatoes, lastly the cabbage quarters.

 Smelling Irishy in here!






I lined a large bowl with the outside cabbage leaves for a pretty presentation.

                                            
 Come on that is just perfectly cooked! Smells out of this world.


 What a nice presentation....


 A White Ape for the cook, Bailey's, chocolate milk (or hot chocolate if you want it to be a hot drink) Pinch of cinnamon, whipped cream and top off with some chocolate chips


Dinner is served!  So so good!  Not sure if I'll have room for another piece of cheesecake!




2 comments:

Kari said...

sounds so good, can't wait until later it he week to make some!

Unknown said...

mmmMMMMMMMmmm!!! This looks awesomely yummy!! Really nice presentation too :) You are inspiring me to make better meals! I've been slacking off :(