appetizers, chicken recipes, meat recipes, seafood recipes, desserts

Get this tabber widget

Thursday, January 24, 2013

The making of a foodie

January 24, 2013

First blog entry...


A few of my friends have recently mentioned to me that I should write a blog. I have been cooking meals for my boys for years and posting pictures and a brief description on +Facebook, there are over a thousand pictures of dishes I have prepared.  Several months ago I was on a date with a man I met online and we friended each other on Facebook. initially when he was looking at the pictures he found all the food pictures odd until he got to know me a bit better and understood my love for food and cooking.  It never occurred to me that it was odd to post my nightly meals. I had several people who comment on them nightly  and look forward to their feedback. Reading the feedback had been as fun as preparing the meals. 



It seems funny to me that I never even cooked anything until I went to college. I was an only child and my mom was a stay home wife and mother.  She never had a love for cooking and sadly here meals reflected that, to her it was just a daily chore to get through. Salt, pepper and butter were all she used for seasonings. I will say she made a delicious pot roast and the best thanksgiving stuffing ever,but that was all. It wasn't that her food was in edible,it was just void of flavor.  My best friend when I was a child lived three houses down, she was the youngest of five girls.  I spent as much time at her house as I could and soon became a regular at their dinner table.  Such foods her mother made, things I had never heard of,such as, American chop suey, lasagna, short ribs. Things as simple as chicken salad was more exciting over there just by the simple addition of celery and onions served on a snowflake roll. They had yogurt, I'd never had it before, take out Chinese food...what is a poopoo platter (now I know it's pupu) I'd think. Gross. The containers would cover the kitchen table and the smells were so amazing. My mouth would immediately water. I remember my mom would call for me to come home for dinner and I'd already have a full plate of something wonderful. My mother would ask if I was behaving, "not wasting food is she?" There would be a laugh and a "waisting  food no she usually has seconds." When I did have to eat at home I'd ask my mother why she didn't use spices or try some of these dishes. She liked her steak to taste like steak not something else..same with everything. I put butter on my steak one night too see it it might bring out some more flavor to which I got I swipe to the head. At my friends we were able to experiment. I remember putting chips ahoy cookies in the toaster to heat em up and they got soft and gooey. English muffins in toaster oven with butter that sort of browned had a completely deeper flavor than butter after after the toasting was complete. My curiosity was awakened and this is how my love and passion, maybe slight obsession for food began and has been growing ever since.

In this blog I will share the foods I make for my sons. One comment I received on Facebook I always enjoyed. My boys have no idea that eating in our home is like eating in a restaurant. They think everyone eats like this every night. I like to make things from scratch as much as possible.  I will post pictures and videos, my oldest son is very interested in media productions so we will collaborate. He is 16 he  shares my passion for food, he however loves eating more than cooking. Thank goodness he has a hollow leg, he is a lean young man with a wonderful metabolism and a very large appetite.  My youngest boy is 6 and has been a bit challenging, green veggies are not his friends. lol but he it pretty easy going if there is nothing green on the plate.  I hope to also share local foods we try when we are out. We are close to some amazing places. 

I look forward to sharing with anyone interested to join along...what is 'On the menu this evening ' 



No comments: